Thursday, August 8, 2019

CAT FAMILY - SMOKEY


SMOKEY

I was supposed to be going to school with my human. That’s what I think he told me when we got into his car. He sat me on his lap and then the car moved us down the street. That was scary enough. The last time I remembered riding with him was when he found me and took me home. 

He kept mumbling words I didn't understand but gave me a bad feeling. He turned the car into a place with lots of other cars and stopped between two. I didn't hear the car sound after that. Then he grabbed me and we were outside. We faced a large building. I thought it must be the school.

We weren't alone. Others humans were getting out of their cars. I tried to burrow into my human's jacket. 

But I didn't expect what happened next.

He set me down, mumbled some more then turned and left. Seconds later he disappeared in the crowd. More feet rushed past me. One almost stepped on me and I ran under the car. 

I waited until all got quiet. When I peeked out, I didn't see anyone. The big building had gobbled them up.

Dazed and scared, I looked around. He didn’t even say goodbye.

Then I knew what he had tried to tell me. He couldn't keep me, and he couldn't take me inside with him.

But no! That's wrong. He had to come back for me. I had to believe that. He took me off the street after Mama left. He held me against him and fed me from a small bottle with a nipple. The milk almost tasted like Mama's. My tummy felt just as good. I felt loved and safe.

Who was going to feed me now? Who would love me?

After what seemed a long time, the ground started burning my feet. My body shivered even with the heat wrapped around me. I crept under another car to wait.

What did I do wrong? Doesn’t he know I’m still a baby? His eyes and his words made me feel sad. I’ll be good. Promise.

The sun moved again and the air got quiet. A few humans came out of the building and went to their cars. My human wasn't among them. After they were gone, I tucked my feet under me and dozed off again. When I awoke my stomach felt empty and my mouth dry. I ventured out to look for what I could find. I nibbled on some grass and drank from a puddle.

While I lapped up water, a shadow fell over me. I peered up. A new human. This one was older than the others. Older than my human. The man bent down and put out his hand for me to sniff. Good vibes. He scratched my head. I couldn’t help but purr.

“What are you doing here?” he asked. “Did you run away? Or did someone stupid drop you off?”

I purred some more, tried to tell him I needed to find home. I rubbed against his knee and pushed my face into his hand.

“Ahhh,” he said. “You poor boy. What am I going to do? I can’t just leave you  here.” 

To my joy, he scooped me up in his arms. He strode over to a car, opened the door and we got in. I huddled close to him as we moved out to the street. The next thing I knew we were getting out of the car. I dug my claws into his jacket and hung on. He wasn't going to drop me on the street if I had something to do about it.

I worried over nothing. He brought me to a house, opened a door and carried me inside. The room was cool and quiet and dark. He brought me a bowl of water, which I lapped up thirstily. I looked around. I was ready to explore.

Another human came into the room. A woman. Next to her ran a little black kitten. They both stopped and stared at me.

The man spoke, but I didn’t pay attention. I checked out my new surroundings. Everything smelled good. The woman bent down and picked me up. She examined me, felt my paws, which were the biggest part of me, and set me down again.

“You’re going to be big,” she said to me.

Whatever that meant. Guess it was good because she brought me and the black kitten some food. I scarfed it down. I never ate anything so good in my life.

“He’s the color of smoke,” the man said. “ Smokey?”

“That’s a good name for him,” She picked up the black kitten. “Sabrina, say hello to your new friend, Smokey.”

Sabrina and I touched noses. She was  female and smaller than me. I meowed a hello. Sabrina hissed. Tossed her head and pranced by me. I followed. We were going to be friends.

I hadn’t seen the dogs yet.

No comments: